Should I see a doctor if I have pain on the back of my head?

If you experience any type of new headache it is best to consult with your physician. Common causes of headaches in the back of the head are tension type headache, or migraines, but potentially more serious causes need to be ruled out as well, especially if these headaches are new and/or severe.

Continue Learning about Headache

Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Sometimes I get a migraine when it storms, but the weather has been so unpredictable that by the time I realize a migraine is underway it’s too late t...
What is paroxysmal hemicrania?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
Paroxysmal hemicrania is a rare variation of cluster headache. The two disorders are nearly iden...
What Your Headache Is Telling You
What Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling You
Chocolate, wine or sex could be to blame for your headaches.
Why Is Migraine Often Misdiagnosed?
Why Is Migraine Often Misdiagnosed?