What vitamins, minerals, and supplements can help prevent headaches?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Some of the vitamins, minerals, and supplements that may help prevent headaches include the herb butterbur (50 - 75 milligrams twice a day for prevention or 100 milligrams every 3 hours for 3 doses during an active migraine), vitamin B2 (riboflavin at 400 milligrams in the morning), coenzyme Q10 (200 milligrams three times a day), and magnesium sulfate (200 - 400 milligrams twice a day - less if loose stools). There's a hung jury on the effectiveness of these, but if you have chronic problems, they may be worth a try. Try them for at least 6 weeks to see if they work for you.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Headache

Is a Migraine in the Forecast?
Is a Migraine in the Forecast?
High humidity provokes bad hair days, but what about headaches? If you're migraine-prone, you might want to check the weather report and keep pain me...
What can I expect from a visit to the doctor for my headaches?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
There are many things that can come out of a visit to the doctor about your headaches. Don't exp...
How are cluster headaches diagnosed?
Dr. Steven A. Meyers, MDDr. Steven A. Meyers, MD
Cluster headaches tend to strike young adults and men more often than women. African Americans are m...
How effective is relaxation for preventing headaches?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Decades of research studies have proven that relaxation is very effective for raising the headache t...