How can I help my child if she gets frequent headaches?

If your child gets frequent headaches (more often than once a month) or headaches that wake her up at night, take her to see a doctor to pinpoint the cause of her headaches. Meanwhile, help her feel better when head pain hits by:
  • having her lie down in a cool, dark, quiet room
  • putting a cool moist cloth on her forehead
  • having her relax by breathing deeply; if she can fall asleep, a nap might help
  • giving her a pain reliever such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, in a dosage that's right for her age and weight; never give a child aspirin, which can cause a serious, sometimes fatal, condition called Reye syndrome.
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Try and figure out what is causing the headache. Is it a vision problem?  Is it stress? Is it migraines? etc. Buy a day calendar from the dollar store and record the headaches for a few weeks. Write down how long they last, time of day, what your child was doing, what made the headache better or worse and any other symptoms that your child had. Bring this headache calendar to your pediatrician. They may be able to figure it out from this information, or they may refer you to a specialist. Until then, try ibuprofen, as long as there is no allergy, a dark, quiet room and a glass of water.

Continue Learning about Headache

The Health Dangers of Cell Phones
The Health Dangers of Cell Phones
Are your ears ringing? Then you might want to take a break from your cell phone. As cell phone ownership has surged in recent years, so have question...
What vitamins, minerals, and supplements can help prevent headaches?
Some of the vitamins, minerals, and supplements that may help prevent headaches include the herb but...
Why does cold food give me a headache?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
To see if certain foods influence your headaches, follow a headache restriction diet for 1 month. If...
Why is it difficult to diagnose headaches in children?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
Many children assume that having headaches is a normal part of life, especially when they have famil...