How can I get the most out of my headache treatment plan?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Headache treatment can be complicated. Writing down the instructions and reviewing them before you leave the office will make it easier to remember how to treat your headaches at home. Acute-care medicines cannot be taken more than a few days per week, while preventive medicines must be used daily in order to work. It also may take 2-3 months to get the full benefit of preventive medications. While some doctors will review the headache treatment plan with you, others may have their nurse or assistant explain the headache program to you. It is a good idea to carefully write down your headache treatment program and confirm that this is the correct strategy. Also, you can ask your pharmacist to clarify any medication questions that weren't asked or answered in the doctor's office. It is essential that you have a good idea of how and when to take your medications and what they are for.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Headache

Prevent Vertigo with a Simple Half-Somersault Maneuver
Suffer from chronic vertigo? Carol Foster, MD, of the University of Colorado, Denver's School of Medicine, devised this simple, effective half-somersa...
How can learning about headaches help me manage them?
Wellness programs, often sponsored by health clinics or hospitals, aim to teach headache sufferers h...
What Your Headache Is Telling You
What Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling You
Chocolate, wine or sex could be to blame for your headaches.
What Are the Different Types of Headaches?