How common are tension headaches?

The annual prevalence of tension headaches is 74%, much higher than for any other type of headache. Approximately 20% to 30% of the population experience more than one tension headache per month and they are 40% more frequent in women compared to men.

There are four categories of tension headaches: 

• frequent episodic tension-type headaches
  • infrequent episodic tension-type headaches
  • chronic tension-type headaches
  • probable tension-type headaches that  differ in frequency and duration.

Probable tension-type headaches are separated into three subcategories, two of which fulfill all but one of the above criteria.

Continue Learning about Headache

Natural Headache Remedies That Work
Natural Headache Remedies That Work
Whether it’s a dull ache or stabbing pain, a headache sends most people straight to the medicine cabinet. But pills aren’t the only solution to reliev...
What Does My Family Need to Know If I've Been Diagnosed with Migraine?
Are Migraines Hereditary?
Are Migraines Hereditary?
Are Preventative Medications for Migraine Over the Counter or by Prescription?