Can exercise help prevent headaches?

Everyone knows that regular exercise helps keep the heart and blood vessels healthy. It also boosts your mood, relieves stress, and helps prevent a host of ailments, such as diabetes and hypertension. In addition, virtually any type of physical activity, if performed regularly, can help prevent headaches.

For overall health benefits, most experts recommend 30 minutes of moderate activity—such as brisk walking, yoga, gardening, or bike riding—every day or nearly every day. It's important to note, though, that strenuous physical activity, such as running (especially in hot, humid weather), can provoke migraine headache in susceptible people.
Walking, swimming, and biking aren't just good for your heart health, your waist line, and your sexual magnetism. Regular aerobic exercise also means that you'll be having less regular headaches. How? It helps relieve stress and increases the levels of pain-killing endorphins. Similarly, yoga, stretching, and meditation also help reduce tension, and thus relax the chemical wackiness that can cause headaches.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Headache

Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Sometimes I get a migraine when it storms, but the weather has been so unpredictable that by the time I realize a migraine is underway it’s too late t...
When should I go to the emergency room (ER) for a headache?
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center - HCA East FloridaAventura Hospital and Medical Center - HCA East Florida
You should go to the emergency room (ER) for a headache if you are having the worst headache of your...
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
See if you recognize any of these unusual triggers.
Can Weather Impact Migraine?
Can Weather Impact Migraine?