What could cause a severe headache during orgasm?

Steven A. Meyers, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
There are several possible causes of orgasmic headache. Most are benign and of unknown cause. Primary orgasmic headache is a headache syndrome of unknown cause that results in a severe headache just prior to or with orgasm. This syndrome tends to be short lived lasting weeks to months. Certain medications can prevent these attacks if taken prior to intercourse. However, headache during orgasm can be due to serious medical problems such as brain aneurysms and tumors and should be evaluated by a physician.

Continue Learning about Headache

Diet Tips for Headache Relief
Diet Tips for Headache Relief
Do your headaches make you feel like your head is about to explode? If so, you are not alone. Janet Jackson, Marcia Cross and Hugh Jackman all suffer ...
Should I see a doctor if I have pain on the back of my head?
Irene A. Semenov, DOIrene A. Semenov, DO
If you experience any type of new headache it is best to consult with your physician. Common cau...
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
See if you recognize any of these unusual triggers.
How Did Botox Come to Be Used in Migraine Treatment?