Can preventative drugs block headaches?

When patients experience headaches frequently, they can sometimes benefit from drug treatments that are designed to prevent headaches from even starting. Four drugs have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for this purpose to prevent migraines. When conventional preventative drugs do not work, certain antidepressant drugs might be prescribed instead.

The antidepressants are thought to work by affecting the serotonin in the brain. Preventative treatments, however, do not always works so it is wise to have acute treatments ready in case you need them.

Continue Learning about Headache

The Stigma of Migraine: It's Real
The Stigma of Migraine: It's Real
If you're one of the 30 million Americans who suffer from migraines, you know that your pain is real and oftentimes disabling. Even worse, others may ...
What does it mean to have a "chronic" headache?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
People who suffer chronic daily headaches experience headaches more than 15 days a month. There are ...
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers8 Surprising Migraine Triggers
See if you recognize any of these unusual triggers.
If I Have Consistent Migraines, Is There Any Fear of Something Worse Like a Brain Tumor?