Can preventative drugs block headaches?

When patients experience headaches frequently, they can sometimes benefit from drug treatments that are designed to prevent headaches from even starting. Four drugs have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for this purpose to prevent migraines. When conventional preventative drugs do not work, certain antidepressant drugs might be prescribed instead.

The antidepressants are thought to work by affecting the serotonin in the brain. Preventative treatments, however, do not always works so it is wise to have acute treatments ready in case you need them.

Continue Learning about Headache

Don't Make These Migraine Mistakes
Don't Make These Migraine Mistakes
If you’re one of the more than 30 million Americans who suffer from migraines, you know getting treatment that works can be tough. These are not your ...
Should I see a doctor if I have pain on the back of my head?
Irene A. Semenov, DOIrene A. Semenov, DO
If you experience any type of new headache it is best to consult with your physician. Common cau...
Are There Different Types of Migraines?
Are There Different Types of Migraines?
Is Migraine Linked to Other Conditions?
Is Migraine Linked to Other Conditions?