Are over-the-counter (OTC) headache medications effective?

When most people get a headache, they reach for whatever painkiller they happen to have in their medicine cabinet. And most of the time, an over-the-counter (OTC) analgesic, or pain reliever offers the needed relief. This easy, effective strategy is fine for people who have mild to moderately painful headaches once in a while. But if you need to take an OTC analgesic more than a couple of times a week, you're suffering from regular, rather than occasional, headaches, and you should see your doctor. Also, talk to your doctor if OTC medications don't ease your pain. These medications are ineffective for many people with severe headaches, but a prescription drug may provide relief.

Continue Learning about Headache

Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Ask Dr. Darria: What Causes Migraines?
Sometimes I get a migraine when it storms, but the weather has been so unpredictable that by the time I realize a migraine is underway it’s too late t...
What can I expect from a visit to the doctor for my headaches?
Egilius L. Spierings, MDEgilius L. Spierings, MD
During a doctor's visit for your headaches, your physician will try to determine the causes of y...
What Your Headache Is Telling You
What Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling YouWhat Your Headache Is Telling You
Chocolate, wine or sex could be to blame for your headaches.
What's the Difference Netween Migraines and Headaches?