Is there a cure for oropharyngeal cancer?

Whether or not oropharyngeal cancer can be cured depends on the cancer stage at diagnosis and the location of the tumor. The five-year survival rate for patients with stage I cancer of the oropharynx and tonsil is 56 percent. The five-year survival rates for those with stages II and III cancer are essentially the same as that for those with stage I disease. The five-year survival rate for those with stage IV cancer is a little bit lower, at 44 percent. After you are finished treatment for your cancer, you will need to follow up with your doctor because recurrences, particularly during the first two years, do happen.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancers

Is the swelling in front of my ear a type of head and neck cancer?
Brett Miles, MDBrett Miles, MD
There are a variety of conditions that can cause swelling in front of your ear. These include benign...
What are the types of head and neck cancer in children?
Types of head and neck Cancers in children include:    * Cancer of the Nose and Throat    * Esthesio...
What does "staging" of my head and neck cancer mean?
Staging of head and neck cancer refers to the process of classifying the cancer into stages that des...
What Are the Most Prominent Head and Neck Cancers You See?