Is there a cure for oropharyngeal cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Whether or not oropharyngeal cancer can be cured depends on the cancer stage at diagnosis and the location of the tumor. The five-year survival rate for patients with stage I cancer of the oropharynx and tonsil is 56 percent. The five-year survival rates for those with stages II and III cancer are essentially the same as that for those with stage I disease. The five-year survival rate for those with stage IV cancer is a little bit lower, at 44 percent. After you are finished treatment for your cancer, you will need to follow up with your doctor because recurrences, particularly during the first two years, do happen.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancers

How is the stage of my head and neck cancer determined?
The stage of head and neck cancer is determined by establishing the location and spread of the tumor...
Is there a cure for head and neck cancers?
Head and neck cancers can be cured in many individuals. As with most cancers, the possibility of cur...
Do head and neck cancers affect children differently than adults?
Head and neck cancers are rare in children. Head and neck cancers most commonly affect individuals w...
What Are the Most Prominent Head and Neck Cancers You See?