How is stage I oropharyngeal cancer treated?

Stage I oropharyngeal cancer is minimally invasive and has not spread to any tissue outside the oropharynx. Radiation and surgery are the main treatment modalities used to manage cancer at this stage. In deciding between radiation and surgery, the location of the primary tumor is the main determinant. Surgery may be used if the cancer is easily removed, with little danger of damaging important structures, while radiation may be used for cancer in more difficult locations.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancers

What are common misconceptions of head and neck cancers?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
The most common misconception of cancer is that if you have it, you're going to die. In this video, ...
What types of cancer develop in the nose and sinuses?
Joshua B. Bederson, MDJoshua B. Bederson, MD
Malignant (cancerous) tumors of the nose and sinuses (sinonasal) are relatively rare and include...
What are head and neck cancers?
Dr. Arlen D. Meyers, MDDr. Arlen D. Meyers, MD
Head and neck cancer is a malignant tumor of the oral cavity, throat or voicebox. Usually associated...
What Are the Most Prominent Head and Neck Cancers You See?