How do other illnesses affect oropharyngeal cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Human papilloma virus is one illness that may affect the prognosis of oropharyngeal cancer, even though it is a risk factor for developing the cancer. Those with evidence of the virus in their tumor cells have a better prognosis than those with no evidence of the virus.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancers

How common are head and neck cancers?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Head and neck cancers account for approximately 3 to 5 percent of all cancers in the United States. ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with head and neck cancer?
Caring for people with head and neck cancer involves helping them deal with the effects of the cance...
Do head and neck cancers affect children differently than adults?
Head and neck cancers are rare in children. Head and neck cancers most commonly affect individuals w...
Is the swelling in front of my ear a type of head and neck cancer?
A swelling in front of an ear is most likely caused by an enlarged parotid gland, which is the large...