How common are head and neck cancers?

Head and neck cancers account for approximately 3 to 5 percent of all cancers in the United States. These cancers are more common in men and in people over age 50. It is estimated that about 39,000 men and women in this country will develop head and neck cancer in 2005.

The answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancers

What are common misconceptions of head and neck cancers?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
The most common misconception of cancer is that if you have it, you're going to die. In this video, ...
How is the stage of my head and neck cancer determined?
The stage of head and neck cancer is determined by establishing the location and spread of the tumor...
Is the swelling in front of my ear a type of head and neck cancer?
A swelling in front of an ear is most likely caused by an enlarged parotid gland, which is the large...
What is the most common head and neck cancer?
Laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma is the most common head and neck cancer in the United States. This...