What are some ways to reduce the risk of concussion in football?

Make sure that the helmet is snug on the head with about one inch between the eyebrow and helmet pads. Be sure that all the pads are clipped in properly and all facemask clips are screwed or locked in properly. Make sure that the helmet's air level is correct. (This answer provided for NATA by the California University of Pennsylvania Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

Which sports generate the most concussions?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Young athletes who play contact sports such as football, hockey or wrestling are at the highest risk...
How do concussions affect the body?
Even though a concussion is a mild type of brain injury, it can still cause some major effects on th...
What should I tell a person with a concussion?
Christopher Giza, MDChristopher Giza, MD
When an injury such as a concussion occurs, doctors should explain to the injured person what to exp...
If my teen is hit hard in the head, at what point should they go to the ER?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
You should go to the ER immediately if there’s a concern that the child may have a traumatic injury,...