Is physical activity safe after a concussion?

After suffering a concussion, you should avoid physical activity or anything that increases the symptoms of the concussion. You cannot participate in these activities until the symptoms have completely cleared.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

Diagnosing Concussions: Don’t Do It Yourself
Walter Fielding (Tom Hanks) and Anna Crowley (Shelley Long) learned two important lessons in the movie The Money Pit: If it looks too good to be true,...
Why is a concussion referred to as a “Brain Sprain?”
Harry G. Kerasidis, MDHarry G. Kerasidis, MD
Like muscle sprains, concussions have temporary symptoms that vary in severity, from mild to moderat...
What should I do if my child gets a head injury?
Chances are, your child is going to spend some time (other than Halloween) looking like a unicorn—wi...
Why is it important to watch my child on the playground?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
When at the playground, think about keeping an eye on your child: There has been a spike in the diag...