What should I do if my child gets a head injury?

Chances are, your child is going to spend some time (other than Halloween) looking like a unicorn—with a prominent bump on his head. Many times, that's okay; the goose-egg swelling is a sign of normal blood clotting beneath the skin at the site of the head injury.

Nevertheless, you'll need to keep a close eye on your child during the forty-eight hours after a head injury because it can take that much time for damaged veins to leak and cause swelling in the brain. You may also want to see a doc to rule out a skull fracture, because a fracture can tear underlying blood vessels and place a lot of pressure on the brain. Because the skull-encased brain has nowhere to expand when it gets inflamed, an untreated skull fracture can lead to decreased brain function.

YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

Sports Concussions: What You Should Know
At last, sports-related concussions are getting the attention they deserve. From new National Football League rules to nationwide laws for young athle...
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet