How can I protect my child from head injuries?

Hands down, the head is the most important body part that your kids need to learn to protect. While most cuts, bruises and broken bones will heal, head injuries are often permanent and disabling. A blow to the head can lead to a loss of certain neurological functions and in serious cases, victims can lapse into a coma and die. Scary stuff.

You definitely want a helmet to take any hits instead of your child’s head. Helmets are the only piece of equipment that can protect against these risks. The thick plastic foam (firm polystyrene) inside the helmet cushions the head from the blow.

Wearing one can reduce the risk of head injury by as much as 85 percent and the risk of brain injury by as much as 88 percent.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

Emerging Technologies for Concussion Diagnosis
In 2011, Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy suffered a helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers linebacker James Harrison. After sitting out two plays,...
How does head trauma affect the brain?
Michael E. Seiff, MDMichael E. Seiff, MD
Head trauma can cause brain hemorrhage, says Michael Seiff, MD, a neurosurgeon at Sunrise Hospital. ...
If my son feels fine after suffering a concussion, can he still play?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
Your son can't play until he has been cleared from the concussion by an appropriate medical provider...
How do concussions affect the body?
Even though a concussion is a mild type of brain injury, it can still cause some major effects on th...