Is there a cure for a cerebral contusion?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A cerebral contusion (a bruise on the brain) is a serious head injury and may cause irreversible damage. The best recovery will be made by getting prompt medical attention if you suffer a blow to the head. A more serious injury may cause permanent damage because the swelling from the bruise pushes on the brain tissue causing changes in the brain's structure.

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

How can I tell if a person has a sports-related concussion?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Less than 10 percent of sports-related concussions involve loss of consciousness. You can’t tell unt...
Why is a concussion referred to as a “Brain Sprain?”
Harry G. Kerasidis, MDHarry G. Kerasidis, MD
Like muscle sprains, concussions have temporary symptoms that vary in severity, from mild to moderat...
Should I try and keep a person with a concussion awake?
No. In fact, the best and first thing to do is give the concussed brain some rest. The brain physiol...
What are the symptoms of a concussion?
The symptoms of a concussion may not appear immediately following the head injury, but in other case...