How is a cerebral contusion diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If a doctor thinks an individual may have a cerebral contusion (a bruise on the brain), they can diagnose the head injury using a CT scan (computed tomography) or an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). Both of these tests allow the doctor to see if there is bruising on the brain and the severity of the damage. The doctor will also ask questions about the injury and the symptoms the individual is experiencing.

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

How can I reduce the risk for playground injuries?
David C. Fiore, MDDavid C. Fiore, MD
Playgrounds are important for helping children stay active and healthy, but they are also a source o...
What should I tell a person with a concussion?
Christopher Giza, MDChristopher Giza, MD
When an injury such as a concussion occurs, doctors should explain to the injured person what to exp...
Why are concussions in children often overlooked?
Dr. Michael Bergeron, PhDDr. Michael Bergeron, PhD
There could be myriad potential reasons for sometimes “overlooking” a concussion in a child. First, ...
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet