What do I need to know about caring for someone with a cerebral contusion?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

When caring for someone with a cerebral contusion (a bruise on the brain), it is important to remember that recovery from head injuries is often very slow. Help the individual get plenty of rest, provide good nutrition, and follow the doctor's instructions. Be alert for changes in their condition and contact the doctor. Take care of yourself by getting enough rest and eating well. To help manage stress while caring for someone with a head injury, you may want to join a support group.

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

Diagnosing Concussions: Don’t Do It Yourself
Walter Fielding (Tom Hanks) and Anna Crowley (Shelley Long) learned two important lessons in the movie The Money Pit: If it looks too good to be true,...
What should I do if my child has a concussion while playing sports?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Children should be removed from the game right away, and parents should be aware of and look out for...
Recognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your Child
Recognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your ChildRecognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your ChildRecognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your ChildRecognizing Concussion Symptoms in Your Child
Don't let hard head hits go unnoticed with these expert tips. No matter how vigilant you may be, head injuries to kids and teens happen all too often,...
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet
Protect Your Noggin With a Bike Helmet