How does a concussion affect the brain?

A concussion is a bruise to the brain. When the head shifts too suddenly or when someone experiences a blow to the brain, the brain moves through cerebral fluid and can hit the inside of the skull.

A concussion can have many impacts. It can knock a person unconscious. It also can cause confusion, memory loss, ringing in the ears, headaches and dizziness. It also can impair a person's ability to speak and think clearly.

A concussion affects how the brain works and can change the way people think and feel. A concussion can't be seen like bruises or scrapes on the outside of the body. But whenever people hurt their head, there is a small chance of bleeding in the brain, which can be very dangerous.

Continue Learning about Head Injuries

How do concussions affect the body?
Even though a concussion is a mild type of brain injury, it can still cause some major effects on th...
Should I give pain medication immediately to someone who has a concussion?
Harry G. Kerasidis, MDHarry G. Kerasidis, MD
In the first 24 hours after sustaining a concussion the person should not take any pain medications....
Are women more vulnerable to concussion than men?
A number of studies have identified that women are more vulnerable to concussion injury than men. In...
What symptoms should I watch for in my child after a head injury?
After a head injury, be on the lookout for a whole range of symptoms in your child: prolonged headac...