Why should I consider robotic surgery if I have head or neck cancer?

Eric M. Genden, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)

Mount Sinai is one of very few centers in the country that use a robot to safely remove tumors, especially those growing in challenging locations. Robotic surgery is far less invasive than non-robotic tumor surgeries, greatly minimizing complications and recovery time—and maximizing quality of life after surgery. Quality of life data and the data produced by others demonstrates that patients treated with transoral robotic surgery and deescalated adjuvant therapy have a significantly improved quality of life, oral function, diet, and less long-term toxicity. As a result, Mount Sinai is dedicated to treating patients with HPV-induced carcinoma using this protocol in an effort to improve survival outcomes and decrease short-term and long-term toxicity.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancer Treatment

Is robotic surgery for head and neck cancers worth the expense?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Is robotic surgery cost effective? In this video, Eric Genden, MD, chairman of the department of oto...
What can I expect before having radiation for head or neck cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
For head and neck patients, your head will have to be immobilized in preparation for your daily ...
Sanford - John Lee - Does head and neck cancer always require surgery
Sanford - John Lee - Are there clinical trials for head and neck cancer