What can I expect before having radiation for head or neck cancer?

For head and neck patients, your head will have to be immobilized in preparation for your daily treatments. This part of the procedure will involve making a mask to form around your face. This mask will be used in your daily treatments. The physician may require a "bite block", a device that is held in the mouth to protect the tongue during treatments. This position may be uncomfortable but its important for the planning process. This is the position you will be in for your daily treatment. The therapist will also place marks on the mask to ensure the radiation is directed to the same area for each treatment. If a mask is not used, then the skin will be marked with semi-permanent ink.

Continue Learning about Head & Neck Cancer Treatment

What is facial reconstruction "free flap" surgery?
Vishad Nabili, MDVishad Nabili, MD
Free-flap reconstructive surgery depends on what type of defect is located in the head and neck. If ...
Why should I consider robotic surgery if I have head or neck cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Mount Sinai is one of very few centers in the country that use a robot to safely remove tumors, espe...
Sanford - John Lee - Are there clinical trials for head and neck cancer
Are There Any New Treatments for Head and Neck Cancers That Are Resistant to Chemotherapy?