What differences in understanding happiness exist among religions?

Ronald Siegel
Virtually all of the world's religions offer paths to inner peace, meaning, and fulfillment. Buddhism, one of the world's ancient religions, teaches that a person can find psychological freedom and inner peace through recognizing the interconnectedness of all things, transcending the illusion of a separate self, and coming to accept the inevitability of change. Other major religious traditions, including those of Judaism, Islam, and Christianity, have for many centuries embraced the concept that happiness and rewards result from following God's will as revealed in scripture. The utilitarian philosophers of the 18th and 19th centuries, including John Stuart Mill, believed that moral actions are those which maximize happiness—not for the individual, but for the greatest number of people. At the same time, other schools of thought have been more individualistic. The Romantics, for example, valued individual emotional expression and passion.

Continue Learning about Happiness

The Unexpected Health Benefits of Laughter
Humor has a way of knocking off our rough edges. It playfully jolts us awake and tickles us until we surrender to laughter. I vividly recall a favori...
Is there a way to measure happiness?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
This one-minute survey can be used to gauge happiness (feelings of contentment or joy; the overa...
6 Surprising Ways to Get Happy
6 Surprising Ways to Get Happy6 Surprising Ways to Get Happy6 Surprising Ways to Get Happy6 Surprising Ways to Get Happy
Turning around a bad mood can be easier than you think. Check out these simple – even odd -- tips to enhance your happiness.
How Can Worrying Affect My Health?
How Can Worrying Affect My Health?