Is there a way to measure happiness?

Ronald Siegel
This one-minute survey can be used to gauge happiness (feelings of contentment or joy; the overall experience of pleasure, well-being, and meaning in life).

Below are five statements that you may agree or disagree with. Using the 1-7 scale below, indicate your agreement with each item by placing the appropriate number on the line next to that item. Be open and honest in your responses.

1—Strongly disagree
2—Disagree
3—Slightly disagree
4—Neither agree nor disagree
5—Slightly agree
6—Agree
7—Strongly agree

Statements:
  • In most ways my life is close to my ideal.
  • The conditions of my life are excellent.
  • I am satisfied with my life.
  • So far I have gotten the important things I want in life.
  • If I could live my life over, I would change almost nothing.
Add up your scores.

Interpretation:
31-35 Extremely satisfied
26-30 Satisfied
21-25 Slightly satisfied
20 Neutral
15-19 Slightly dissatisfied
10-14 Dissatisfied
5-9 Extremely dissatisfied

A short test such as this can give only a general idea of your level of satisfaction and happiness compared to others. Your score will depend on your feelings about your life to date, your current circumstances, and the short-term effect of recent events.
  • If your score indicates you are satisfied or extremely satisfied, you find most areas of your life to be very rewarding.
  • If you score as slightly satisfied or neutral, there are probably several areas of your life that you would like to improve.
  • If you score as dissatisfied to extremely dissatisfied, you may be reacting to recent bad events. However, if you have felt this way for a long time and are not feeling optimistic about the future, you may need to make significant changes in your life, and you might benefit from seeking help from a mental health professional.

Continue Learning about Happiness

3 Amazing Benefits of Gratitude
3 Amazing Benefits of Gratitude
The Thanksgiving holiday reminds us to take time out for gratitude. But if you can make thankfulness a core part of your daily mantra, you’ll reap so ...
How can I use my strengths to become happier?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Signature strengths can be defined as character traits you identify with, appreciate, and enjoy ...
Health Experts Answer: What Is Happiness?
Health Experts Answer: What Is Happiness?Health Experts Answer: What Is Happiness?Health Experts Answer: What Is Happiness?Health Experts Answer: What Is Happiness?
What is the definition of happiness? Mental health experts offer their take.
What Is Linked to Greater Happiness, the Pursuit of Money or Valuing Your Time?