How can I become happier?

Psychologists say to feel happier, you must prime your body and mind for joy. Try these tips:

Find a rewarding activity: Aim for a state of flow, when you lose track of time because you're in a state of satisfaction.

Appreciate small things: Keep a daily log of positive things that happen in your day or a journal of the things for which you're thankful.

Stay mindful of the present: Don't worry about the future. Approach problems as temporary, solvable situations. Build social networks: Bonds with friends and family maintain happiness. Even connections with strangers, such as holding doors and saying, "Thank you" can help.

Exercise: Exercising reduces the body's level of stress hormone cortisol and increases positive endorphins.

Continue Learning about Happiness

Find Long-Lasting Happiness With One Simple Act
Happiness is a choice that is clearly within reach if we practice it like a habit. And the ability to make that choice rests, in part, with a sense of...
Are people happier when they're young?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Being young and physically attractive has little or no bearing on happiness, feelings of contentment...
Is there a way to measure happiness?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
This one-minute survey can be used to gauge happiness (feelings of contentment or joy; the overa...
Can volunteer work help make me happier?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Helping others kindles happiness, as many studies have demonstrated. When researchers at the Lon...