What are the risks of having a hand fracture?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
The biggest risk of most hand fractures is loss of function; usually, the loss is related to motion. Hand fractures that are not treated/followed can result in malrotated fingers that overlap or excessive stiffness. This is why it is so important to seek medical attention even for "just a broken finger."

Continue Learning about Hand Fracture

What causes a hand fracture?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Believe it or not, there are 19 bones in each of your hands and 8 in each wrist, not including those...
How is a hand fracture treated?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Treatment of hand fractures depends on your age, what bone is broken and where/how in that bone, whe...
How is a hand fracture diagnosed?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Swelling, bruising, tenderness, pain, or changes in motion after an injury to the hand are suspiciou...
I fell on my wrist and hand, and it still hurts. Should I be worried?
There may be cause for concern if you feel that the pain is not resolved after 7 to10 days. There ar...