What causes a hand fracture?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Believe it or not, there are 19 bones in each of your hands and 8 in each wrist, not including those big long forearm bones. These bones and the joints between them provide protection and support for the many tendons, muscles, nerves, blood vessels and ligaments that work together to make your hands function so well!

When a significant force is applied to your bone, it can break (or fracture, which is the technical term for “break!”). This causes pain, stiffness, bruising, or even bleeding if there is a break in the skin. Sometimes you will see a deformity (your finger might look crooked). 

Continue Learning about Hand Fracture

How is a hand fracture treated?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Treatment of hand fractures depends on your age, what bone is broken and where/how in that bone, whe...
How is a hand fracture diagnosed?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Swelling, bruising, tenderness, pain, or changes in motion after an injury to the hand are suspiciou...
What are the risks of having a hand fracture?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
The biggest risk of most hand fractures is loss of function; usually, the loss is related to motion....
I fell on my wrist and hand, and it still hurts. Should I be worried?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Scaphoid fractures result from a fall onto your outstretched hand. You might have pain, swelling, an...