How is a hand fracture treated?

Rachel Rohde, MD
Orthopedic Surgery

Treatment of hand fractures depends on your age, what bone is broken and where/how in that bone, whether your fingers are malrotated or “scissoring” over each other, and other factors. Your hand doctor can examine you and your X-rays to determine whether the fracture needs to be reduced (or “set”) and whether it can be treated in a splint/cast or might need surgery.

Once your doctor considers your fracture “stable” enough, you might be sent for hand therapy to start motion. Early motion helps prevent stiffness, but there always is a balance between early motion and stability of the fracture.

Continue Learning about Hand Fracture

What are the risks of having a hand fracture?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
The biggest risk of most hand fractures is loss of function; usually, the loss is related to motion....
I fell on my wrist and hand, and it still hurts. Should I be worried?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Scaphoid fractures result from a fall onto your outstretched hand. You might have pain, swelling, an...
What causes a hand fracture?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Believe it or not, there are 19 bones in each of your hands and 8 in each wrist, not including those...
How is a hand fracture diagnosed?
Rachel Rohde, MDRachel Rohde, MD
Swelling, bruising, tenderness, pain, or changes in motion after an injury to the hand are suspiciou...