Why is laser hair removal more difficult for people with dark skin?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
The laser used in hair removal destroys any brown it encounters. It doesn't know the difference between hair and tanned skin. The darker the skin, therefore, the more the blistering. When the skin is hit by the laser, it responds by making pigment. This can be a big problem. It turns out that people with olive complexions have the most severe problems with hyperpigmentation after laser hair removal. Southern Asians, Puerto Ricans, and southern Italians all have problems with hyperpigmentation. People with darker skin should use the lightening cream hydroquinone for at least two weeks prior to laser treatment to decrease the chance of this troublesome side effect.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What should I know before I get the MiraSmooth procedure?
Whitney Bowe, MDWhitney Bowe, MD
Before getting the MiraSmooth procedure, you should talk to your doctor about the recovery period, t...
Is it okay to use my husband's razor to shave my bikini line?
Don't be tempted to use your husband's razor! In this video, ob-gyn Dr. Lauren Streicher explain...
How can I avoid over-tweezing my eyebrows?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Over-tweezing is a common brow mistake and can make your eyebrows look scary and harsh. If you prefe...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?