What's a good way to remove my pubic hair?

There’s a multimillion-dollar industry that has evolved surrounding pubic fashion, and there is no shortage of options. Waxing, shaving, electrolysis, clipping, chemical depilatories and laser removal are all at your disposal, but is there a best way? Keep in mind that, with the exception of clipping, some red bumps commonly result no matter what method is used, particularly in African American women. Professional waxing and electrolysis result in the least amount of irritation, allergies or complications, but can be expensive -- not to mention painful. Many women use a topical anesthetic (Emla cream, available by prescription) to reduce the agony.

But before choosing a permanent method of hair removal, such as electrolysis, keep in mind that next year, the bush may be in style again.
Sex Rx: Hormones, Health, and Your Best Sex Ever

For millions of women in America, sex isn’t always pleasurable or even possible. Instead, sex has become a low priority as they navigate marriage, motherhood, and work . . . not to mention cope with chronic stress and lack of sleep. Throw in the natural fluctuations in hormone levels that all women experience throughout their lives and it’s not surprising that sex can become, well, a little less sexy. Additionally, common gynecological problems can make sex uncomfortable, and medical issues can cause it to be downright painful.Dr. Lauren Streicher, a leading women’s sexual health expert, offers women the courage, vocabulary, and knowledge to identify and solve problems in the bedroom, for a wide range of issues—from flagging libido, vaginal dryness, and sex after menopause, to hormone supplements and the effects of medication, Sex Rx offers a wealth of knowledge, along with a good dose of humor and plenty of encouragement, so that every woman, no matter what personal challenges she has, can make having great sex a part of their lives forever.Sex Rx was originally published in hardcover as Love Sex Again.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

Is it okay to use my husband's razor to shave my bikini line?
Don't be tempted to use your husband's razor! In this video, ob-gyn Dr. Lauren Streicher explain...
What is the difference between laser hair removal and electrolysis?
Anne M. Chapas, MDAnne M. Chapas, MD
Trying to decide between laser hair removal and electrolysis? FInd out the best way to fight fuzz by...
How can I remove unwanted hair on my arms?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Excessive, dark hair on the forearms isn't the "in" look. More common in women of color (African Ame...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?