What medications are available to remove facial hair?

If you want to remove unwanted facial hair, your doctor may prescribe a topical cream containing eflornithine, a chemical that blocks substances in the hair follicle needed for the hair to grow. When applied as directed by your doctor (usually twice a day) to areas of unwanted hair growth, the facial hair gradually becomes softer and lighter and less visible. Side effects of eflornithine may include skin irritation and acne, and you should alert your doctor if you experience them. In some cases, a doctor may prescribe oral medications that block the effects of male hormones in the body, alone or in conjunction with use of oral contraceptives. Talk to your doctor for more information about removing unwanted facial hair.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What is a bikini wax?
A traditional bikini wax involves using warm wax to remove hair around the pubic region, traditional...
Is laser hair removal safe?
Dr. Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDDr. Jeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Laser hair removal is a common and effective way to permanently remove hair. It is safe, but remembe...
What are some ways I can trim my pubic hair?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
There are many ways to trim your pubic hair. There's a multi-million dollar industry that has evolve...
What is hair removal?
Bruce Katz, MDBruce Katz, MD
Hair removal is the process of removing facial or body hair either temporarily or permanently. Tempo...