What is hair removal?

Howard L. Brooks, MD
Dermatology

Hair removal can be achieved with lasers, shaving, threading and plucking. In my office, we do quite a bit of laser hair removal. There are several lasers that target the pigment in the hair itself to damage the follicle and decrease the hair growth. It will usually take 6-8 treatments, 6-8 weeks apart to have a significant reduction in the hair. It is not permanent and touch-ups will be necessary.

Bruce Katz, MD
Dermatology

Hair removal is the process of removing facial or body hair either temporarily or permanently. Temporary measures include waxing, depilatory creams or shaving. The most popular permanent solution is laser hair removal.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What are some ways I can trim my pubic hair?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
There are many ways to trim your pubic hair. There's a multi-million dollar industry that has evolve...
What is the threading method of hair removal?
Gary Goldenberg, MDGary Goldenberg, MD
Threading is not a true hair removal method. It's a way to cut hair. The removal in this case is not...
What is the MiraSmooth procedure?
Whitney Bowe, MDWhitney Bowe, MD
MiraSmooth is an FDA-approved procedure that uses microwave technology to permanently remove hair an...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?