What is the difference between laser hair removal and electrolysis?

Electrolysis is not the same thing as laser hair removal. Electrolysis uses a needle with an electrical current flowing through it that penetrates deep into the hair follicle. A laser, on the other hand, uses the energy from a laser light to zap the follicle. Which is better? Well, I prefer laser because it doesn’t involve a needle, and is much faster and more efficient. But here’s the caveat: A laser doesn’t work well on blond or gray hair, and it’s more costly.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Anne M. Chapas, MD
Dermatology

Trying to decide between laser hair removal and electrolysis? FInd out the best way to fight fuzz by watching this video in which dermatologist Dr. Anne Chapas discusses an important difference between the two procdures.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What is the threading method of hair removal?
A hair-removal technique from the Middle East and India is popular in salons in the Big Apple. It's ...
Is it okay to use my husband's razor to shave my bikini line?
Don't be tempted to use your husband's razor! In this video, ob-gyn Dr. Lauren Streicher explain...
Is laser hair removal safe?
Dr. Jeffrey A. Benabio, MDDr. Jeffrey A. Benabio, MD
Laser hair removal is a common and effective way to permanently remove hair. It is safe, but remembe...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?