What is the difference between laser hair removal and electrolysis?

Anne M. Chapas, MD
Dermatology

Trying to decide between laser hair removal and electrolysis? FInd out the best way to fight fuzz by watching this video in which dermatologist Dr. Anne Chapas discusses an important difference between the two procdures.

Electrolysis is not the same thing as laser hair removal. Electrolysis uses a needle with an electrical current flowing through it that penetrates deep into the hair follicle. A laser, on the other hand, uses the energy from a laser light to zap the follicle. Which is better? Well, I prefer laser because it doesn’t involve a needle, and is much faster and more efficient. But here’s the caveat: A laser doesn’t work well on blond or gray hair, and it’s more costly.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

How can I get rid of facial hair?
If you're a woman, you can get rid of unwanted facial hair in a variety of ways, including:Depil...
What should I be aware of when going to a salon for a bikini wax?
It's important to be aware of the things around you that could raise red flags regarding a salon's c...
Is there another name for hair removal creams?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
They are also called depilatories. Olay just launched a new one that is effective and easy to use an...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?