How effective is laser hair removal?

In one of life's injustices, many of us have the frustrating experience of losing hair in the places we want to keep it (the scalp) and growing it in the places where we want to lose it (perhaps the back and shoulders for men, and the chin and around the bellybutton for women).

Though there are plenty of remedies that can eliminate unwanted hair, like Nair hair dissolver, waxing, and shaving, the latest hair-zapper is laser therapy.
Here's how it works: The brown pigment in the hair soaks up the laser light, acting like a firecracker fuse leading to the follicle lying 2 mm under the skin. The laser's heat travels down through the hair to zap the follicle so it can never grow hair again. Blond, red, or silver hair doesn't work because there's not enough brown pigment to fry. It takes several treatments to remove lots of hair in one area (it removes about 20 to 40 percent each time). The coolest thing is that the laser works like those military weapons, seeking out and frying hairs, even ingrown hairs, diving beneath the surface of the skin. They can grow, but they can't hide.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What are some ways I can trim my pubic hair?
Lauren Streicher, MDLauren Streicher, MD
There are many ways to trim your pubic hair. There's a multi-million dollar industry that has evolve...
What's the best way to get rid of nose hair?
As tempting as it is to pull nose hairs out like you're pulling weeds from your garden, don't yank. ...
What's a good way to remove my pubic hair?
There’s a multimillion-dollar industry that has evolved surrounding pubic fashion, and there is no s...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?