How do creams get rid of unwanted hair?

Hair removal creams, also known as depilatories, contain chemicals that dissolve the keratin -- protein structure -- of your hair. After the keratin dissolves, what remains is weak enough to scrape or rinse away from the skin, leaving a smooth, clean surface.

Continue Learning about Hair Removal

What is Vaniqua?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
The drug Vaniqua (eflornithine) slows the production of hair and causes it to form improperly. T...
How can I remove unwanted hair on my arms?
Audrey Kunin, MDAudrey Kunin, MD
Excessive, dark hair on the forearms isn't the "in" look. More common in women of color (African Ame...
What is the MiraSmooth procedure?
Whitney Bowe, MDWhitney Bowe, MD
MiraSmooth is an FDA-approved procedure that uses microwave technology to permanently remove hair an...
What Is the Difference Between Laser Hair Removal and Electrolysis?