Why is my hairline receding?

Up to 95 percent of permanent hair loss is caused by androgenetic alopecia, a hereditary condition affecting millions of men, women and children. The condition is characterized by patterns of baldness. Male pattern baldness generally starts when his hairline begins to recede at the front or thin at the crown. The process gradually progresses until, sometimes, only a thin horseshoe-shaped rim of hair remains. Female pattern baldness, has received more attention in recent years, is marked by a general thinning of hair all over the scalp. This usually begins around age 30 and becomes more noticeable after 40 years old, particularly after menopause.

Along with aging and an inherited tendency toward early baldness (a more complex link than researchers previously thought), androgenetic alopecia speeds up because of an over-abundance of the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT) inside the hair follicle. DHT is a very active form of testosterone, which influences specific aspects of masculine behavior, including aggression and sex drive. Over time, DHT causes hair follicles to degrade. It shortens their anagen, or active, phase.

Technically, follicles are still alive and connected to a good blood supply (which is why they can nurture transplanted follicles that are immune to the effects of DHT), but they will grow smaller and smaller. Some follicles will die. Most, however, will simply shrink and produce weaker hairs. The progressively shorter active growing cycle means more hairs shed and remaining hairs become too thin. They cannot survive daily wear and tear. Hairs in balding areas change over time from long, coarse, thick, colored hairs into fine, colorless, fuzzy hairs.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How can I prevent my hairline from receding?
Male pattern baldness is genetic, but there are some things that can be done to prevent it. Learn mo...
What can women do to reduce hair loss?
Lightly pulling back your hair can reduce hair loss. Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz ab...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?