Why does chemotherapy cause hair loss?

Chemotherapy causes hair loss because it works by attacking cells that divide fast. Chemotherapy can't tell good cells from bad cells, so it can end up fighting healthy cells that also divide quickly. This includes cells in the mouth, making it sore, and hair cells, making hair fall out.

During chemotherapy, doctors administer poisonous drugs into rapidly reproducing cancer cells. Cancer cells can be the most rapidly reproducing cells in the body. Other cells, including those that contribute to the formation of hair and fingernails, also reproduce quickly. Therefore, while chemotherapy drugs preferentially destroy cancer cells, the same drugs also can destroy the cells responsible for normal hair growth and nail growth. That's why cancer patients sometimes shed hair and nails during treatment. There are no hair-growth stimulants, shampoos, conditioners or cosmetic treatments that can prevent or retard this hair loss. The good news is that once chemotherapy is finished, the hair usually grows back within six months or a year.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Is hair loss serious?
Hair loss in itself is not considered serious, but it can indicate the presence of other diseases. I...
Will my hair regrow after hair loss from bariatric surgery?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
After hair loss from bariatric surgery, in most cases hair will begin to regrow and return to its no...
How Can I Prevent My Hairline From Receding?