Q

Hair Loss

What can women do to reduce hair loss?

• To prevent hair loss, women can start by eating a good, well-balanced diet with plenty of protein. If a woman is not getting enough protein, the body has to select what it’s going to make, and hair is usually the first thing the body eliminates. You’ll also want to avoid hairstyles that pull tightly at your hair, and frequent use of hot rollers and curling irons. If you’re using elastic bands for ponytails or braids, make sure the bands are coated with fabric so they don’t pull at your hair. And invest in a sturdy wide-tooth comb to help ease daily wear-and-tear on your hair.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Hairloss TP Test
    Lightly pulling back your hair can reduce hair loss.

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about what women can do to reduce hair loss.

This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I prevent my hairline from receding?