What are some treatments for inherited hair loss?

The best treatment options for genetic hair loss include:

• Learning to live with it (Talk to a professional counselor. It can help.)
  • A good hair stylist (a professional cut by an experienced stylist can make a big difference) and cosmetic techniques to even out hair loss
  • Some combination of hair additions (things like wigs or extensions) and hair replacement surgery

Many people with hair loss also use minoxidil, the only FDA-approved medication that offers safe and effective treatment of both male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness. Minoxidil is available in both oral (by prescription only) and topical (over-the-counter) forms. Generally it is more effective at slowing hair loss than at stimulating hair growth, but many people say they experience both.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
What causes hair loss in women?
Dr. Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDDr. Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
There are many possible causes of hair loss in women. The first three imbalances I check for in wome...
How can oral contraceptives affect hair loss in women?
Women who take oral contraceptives can experience hair loss. If you or someone in your family is sen...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?