What are some treatments for inherited hair loss?

The best treatment options for genetic hair loss include:

• Learning to live with it (Talk to a professional counselor. It can help.)
  • A good hair stylist (a professional cut by an experienced stylist can make a big difference) and cosmetic techniques to even out hair loss
  • Some combination of hair additions (things like wigs or extensions) and hair replacement surgery

Many people with hair loss also use minoxidil, the only FDA-approved medication that offers safe and effective treatment of both male pattern baldness and female pattern baldness. Minoxidil is available in both oral (by prescription only) and topical (over-the-counter) forms. Generally it is more effective at slowing hair loss than at stimulating hair growth, but many people say they experience both.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
What is the rate of incidence for hair loss?
Pattern baldness is the type of hair loss that doctors most often see. It affects both men and women...
Should I have bariatric surgery if I am at risk of losing my hair?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
The fear of temporary losing your hair should not deter you from bariatric surgery or losing weight....
Why does chemotherapy cause hair loss?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
During chemotherapy, doctors administer poisonous drugs into rapidly reproducing cancer cells. Cance...