What are treatments for hair loss in women?

That's right: Guys aren't the only ones who lose their hair. In fact, 40 percent of women experience hair loss. Watch this video to learn what Dr. Oz has to say about female hair loss and what products you can use to regrow your tresses.

Celeste Robb-Nicholson
Depending on the nature of your hair loss, your doctor may recommend one of the following options:
  • Minoxidil. A nonprescription, over-the-counter solution of 2% minoxidil is Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved for treating androgenetic alopecia in women. While minoxidil can stimulate new growth of fine hair in some -- not all -- women, it can't restore the full density of the lost hair. It may, however, help women retain the hair they still have and minimize further loss. A 5% solution approved for men only is also available, and is more effective, with about 60% of men showing improvement. Some doctors prescribe it for off-label use in women. The 5%, and to a lesser extent, 2%, formulations can cause unwanted hair growth, particularly fine hair appearing on the cheeks and forehead.
  • Anti-androgens. Anti-androgen medications are not licensed for treating androgenetic alopecia, but European use suggests they can help women whose hair loss is related to elevated androgen levels. This class of medications, which include spironolactone (Aldactone) and finasteride (Propecia), block androgen receptors and thereby suppress the effects of androgens.
  • Hair transplants. A technique called follicular unit transplantation, which entails grafting hairs in small tufts to mimic natural growth, has made the procedure more attractive to women. Although the graft survival rate is 90% to 100%, the procedure is limited to women who have enough healthy hair to fill the bald spots.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
How can I prevent my hairline from receding?
Male pattern baldness is genetic, but there are some things that can be done to prevent it. Learn mo...
What is hair loss?
Some hair loss is a naturally occurring process, but losing large amounts of hair is known as baldne...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?