What should I expect during hair transplant surgery?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
During hair transplant surgery, local anesthesia is usually used, supplemented by oral narcotic painkillers and anti-anxiety medication. A strip of hair-bearing scalp is removed from the back of the head and sliced like a loaf of bread. The slices are divided into small pieces, which in turn are divided into groups of individual hairs or clusters. The donor area (where the hair was taken from) is closed, and tiny incisions are made in the scalp where the hairs are to be transplanted (the recipient area). Once the hairs are ready, they are chilled on ice until they are placed in the incisions. Behind the frontal hairline, clusters of more than one hair can be transplanted. Hairs cannot be placed closer together than one millimeter in a single session.

The process is extremely tedious and takes several hours. Typically, five hundred to twenty-five hundred hairs are transplanted in a daylong session.
Straight Talk about Cosmetic Surgery (Yale University Press Health & Wellness)

The public’s recent exuberance toward cosmetic surgery has spurred an unprecedented demand for appearance-changing procedures. But how can an average consumer discern the hype from solid truth? ...

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Does hair loss affect children differently than adults?
Pattern baldness is usually seen in people in their teens and older. A type of hair loss called tric...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hair loss?
If you are caring for someone with excessive hair loss, you should be aware that the individual may ...
What Are the Latest Advances in Hair Transplant Procedures?