How is hair loss diagnosed?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Your doctor can diagnose the nature and cause of your hair loss by taking a complete medical history and by examining you. Your doctor may also want to take samples of your hair or skin to analyze them for further information. If other conditions are suspected, you may have blood tests to rule out or identify diseases such as lupus or thyroid disease.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

Should I talk to my doctor about my hair loss symptoms?
You should talk with your doctor if you notice that you are losing excessive amounts of hair or if y...
What causes hair loss after bariatric surgery?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
After bariatric surgery, hair loss (called telogen effluvium) may be caused by: trauma from the ...
How can hair loss in women be prevented?
Elizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RDElizabeth Boham, MD, MS, RD
Low iron in the diet and in the body is a common cause of increased hair loss in women. This is espe...
Will my hair regrow after hair loss from bariatric surgery?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
After hair loss from bariatric surgery, in most cases hair will begin to regrow and return to its no...