How is hair loss diagnosed?

Your doctor can diagnose the nature and cause of your hair loss by taking a complete medical history and by examining you. Your doctor may also want to take samples of your hair or skin to analyze them for further information. If other conditions are suspected, you may have blood tests to rule out or identify diseases such as lupus or thyroid disease.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Can hair loss happen in kids, too?
Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MDIris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Hair loss or alopecia can happen in children. There are several causes of this condition. It is impo...
What can women do to reduce hair loss?
Lightly pulling back your hair can reduce hair loss. Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz ab...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?