How can hair color, straighteners, or permanent waves affect hair loss?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Cosmetic procedures such as coloring, straightening, or perming can damage your hair and cause hair loss. The chemicals used in these processes contain strong substances that can hurt your scalp and cause skin reactions. If you choose to color or relax your hair, read all of the directions carefully or have a professional work with you to ensure minimal hair loss.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Can strict dieting cause hair loss?
Brandice Lardner Brandice Lardner
Yes. Our bodies are programmed for survival. When you consume too few calories and/or restrict your...
How is hair loss diagnosed?
Your doctor can diagnose the nature and cause of your hair loss by taking a complete medical history...
Should I have bariatric surgery if I am at risk of losing my hair?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
The fear of temporary losing your hair should not deter you from bariatric surgery or losing weight....