Can hair loss be prevented?

If you have hereditary baldness, you cannot prevent hair loss. You can try, however, to limit hair loss with medication such as minoxodil. Men may also try finasteride, which can prevent testosterone from causing hair loss, as in male pattern baldness. Doctors also recommend eating a healthy diet and avoiding damage to your hair from blow-drying, tight hairstyles, and picking at your hair. If your hair loss has been caused by other diseases, such as hypothyroidism or ringworm, you may find that treating those conditions will limit your hair loss. Hair loss caused by childbirth or menopause is temporary; your hair should return without medical treatment.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
What is the rate of incidence for hair loss?
Pattern baldness is the type of hair loss that doctors most often see. It affects both men and women...
What is hair loss?
Some hair loss is a naturally occurring process, but losing large amounts of hair is known as baldne...
How Can I Prevent My Hairline From Receding?