Do I only inherit hair loss from my mother's genes?

Hair loss is a highly inherited trait. While we tend to say that baldness comes from the mother's side, an individual's genes from both parents influence that person's predisposition to male- or female-pattern baldness. If your own parents were lucky enough to keep their hair but you've experienced hair loss, you can point to your uncle on your mom's side as the beacon of your bald genes, but your dad's brother is just as likely to share the link.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
What can women do to reduce hair loss?
Lightly pulling back your hair can reduce hair loss. Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz ab...
How does hair loss affect the body?
Healthy hair cycles through growing, transition, and resting phases. After the resting phase, a heal...
How Can Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy Help with Hair Loss?