Does hair loss affect men and women differently?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Hair loss does affect men and women differently. Hair loss that is caused by heredity, or androgenetic alopecia, is known as male-pattern or female-pattern hair loss. Male-pattern hair loss typically begins at the front hairline and proceeds over the top of the head, resulting in a U-like shape, or begins in a patch at the rear of the head. Female-pattern hair loss generally manifests itself by an overall thinning across the head.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

Can strict dieting cause hair loss?
Brandice Lardner Brandice Lardner
Yes. Our bodies are programmed for survival. When you consume too few calories and/or restrict your...
How can I prevent my hairline from receding?
Male pattern baldness is genetic, but there are some things that can be done to prevent it. Learn mo...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hair loss symptoms?
You should talk with your doctor if you notice that you are losing excessive amounts of hair or if y...
Will my hair regrow after hair loss from bariatric surgery?
Mark A. Salcone, DOMark A. Salcone, DO
After hair loss from bariatric surgery, in most cases hair will begin to regrow and return to its no...