Does hair loss affect men and women differently?

Hair loss does affect men and women differently. Hair loss that is caused by heredity, or androgenetic alopecia, is known as male-pattern or female-pattern hair loss. Male-pattern hair loss typically begins at the front hairline and proceeds over the top of the head, resulting in a U-like shape, or begins in a patch at the rear of the head. Female-pattern hair loss generally manifests itself by an overall thinning across the head.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
What is hair loss in women?
Celeste Robb-NicholsonCeleste Robb-Nicholson
Hair loss (alopecia) is one of the most common female hair disorders, with more than a third of wome...
Can strict dieting cause hair loss?
Brandice Lardner Brandice Lardner
Yes. Our bodies are programmed for survival. When you consume too few calories and/or restrict your...
How Can I Prevent My Hairline From Receding?