Can hair loss be affected by autoimmune diseases?

Some kinds of hair loss are caused by an autoimmune response in which your body attacks your hair follicles. If you have the kind of hair loss called alopecia areata, you might lose hair in round, smooth patches. You might also have hypothyroidism, an underactive thyroid gland, which can be caused by another autoimmune condition.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Can major stress cause hair loss?
Stress can cause sudden hair loss by literally flipping the switch on the hair follicle’s growth sta...
Can hair loss happen in kids, too?
Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MDIris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Hair loss or alopecia can happen in children. There are several causes of this condition. It is impo...
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?
How Much Hair Loss Is Too Much?