Does hair loss affect children differently than adults?

Pattern baldness is usually seen in people in their teens and older. A type of hair loss called trichotillomania occurs when people (often children) pull or pick at their hair in response to stress. This kind of hair loss is often misdiagnosed because it is caused over time. Other types of hair loss that affect children more than adults are alopecia areata, and that caused by scalp ringworm infection.

Bear in mind that hair loss is hard at any age, but can be very hard on children, as they may not understand the cause and may not get peer support.

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
I Shed a Lot—Is That Normal?
Some shedding is perfectly normal. In fact, most people lose around 50 to 100 hairs every day. But nobody wants to lose more hair than that, and seein...
Does hair loss affect men and women differently?
Hair loss does affect men and women differently. Hair loss that is caused by heredity, or androgenet...
What can women do to reduce hair loss?
Lightly pulling back your hair can reduce hair loss. Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz ab...
How Can Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy Help with Hair Loss?