What can a doctor do for hair loss?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Not all dermatologists specialize in hair loss, but most are capable of getting you started by determining a diagnosis. The doctor may do a biopsy, have blood work done, and can refer you to a specialist. A prescription for topical minoxidil (Rogaine) can help, and finasteride (Propecia, an oral medication originally developed for blood pressure) has been proven effective for male-pattern baldness but is not safe for women since it can cause birth defects. Both medications help stimulate new growth in the hair follicle and diminish the progression of hair loss. In cases of alopecia and male-pattern baldness that become worse, it is comforting to know that hair transplants are a terrific solution. They now grow in naturally and are better than ever before.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Hair Loss

What Are the Latest Advances in Hair Transplant Procedures?
How Can Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy Help with Hair Loss?
As Someone Who Has Recently Had a Baby, Why Am I Losing My Hair?